Re: Canadian Costums duty

To: "Livia I. Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>,
Subject: Re: Canadian Costums duty
From: The Quirks <the5quirks@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 11:37:43 -0700
Have purchased parts for 69 Spit from US and Britain on many occasions and
have not paid duty (only GST).  Ask vendor to clearly mark the customs
declaration slip attached to the package as "antique autoparts".  If you are
charged duty, it can be claimed back from Canada Customs -- they have a form
to fill out & you need to include proof of vehicle ownership (photocopy of
registration will do).  Do not have parts shipped by UPS they will rip you
off with brokerage fees etc. and will be of no help when they incorrectly
charge you duty.  I much prefer using the postal service when the parcel
size permits.

Larry Quirk (freezing in Edmonton with Spits in hibernation)