Re: Explain no vac advance please?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <angel@webwizzards.com>
Subject: Re: Explain no vac advance please?
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 09:03:05 -0500
All the Spitfire distributors are of the "weighted type".  As in
they have a centrifugal advance, as well as a vacuum advance.
In many cases, perfectly fine running results can be achieved
by simply disconnecting the vacuum advance and going
exclusively with the centrifugal advance.  I personally have
my 1500 running that way.

Baseline timing for your car can be best set by ignoring the timing
marks, and using a vacuum gauge on the manifold.  Work the
timing around until you achieve the highest manifold vacuum at
idle and lock it down.  Drive the vehicle.  If pinging is detected,
retard the timing slightly until the pinging goes away.  If you
then wish to use a timing light to see where you happen to
be on timing for future repeatability, do so.

Your Bentley manual shows different diming specs for 1500s
because several different configurations existed.  From the
European with dual SU's to differently ignited US models,
with different emissions control configurations.

>>> "Guy Johnson" <angel@webwizzards.com> 01/01 7:04 PM >>>
Welcome to the New Year!

Just bought a 76 Spitfire. Replaced card with DCOE 40 which left no vac
advance. I have read that you must replace distributor with a weighted type.
Is this the only option? Too expensive!

Also I find 3 different timing settings in Haynes and Bentley books. What is
bestfor 1500 with no cat?

I am a newbie to this group but think it is great. Hope to use it in the
future and contribute.