Re: Forced Induction

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Forced Induction
From: "Dr T. Dafforn" <td214@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:18:05 +0000 (GMT)
Supercharging the spitfire engine was a period method for
giving a performance boost. In fact there is documentation from the 1960's
showing a shorrock supercharger installed on a triumph Herald (spitfire
engine). The setup was reaconed to give 2l performance from a 1.3l engine,
so not bad!
Fuel delevery was via a "suck through" SU (HS6 I think), although you can
use a blow through set up if you take a HIF style SU from a turbo Rover
Metro, Maestro, or Montego (Common Rover (British leyland) car over here).
Oiling the supercharger was achieved by a take off from the same place as
the external rocker suply kits.
Its is also true that the compression was reduced (I have the details some
where).
So it is possible to blow a spitfire, the biggest problem is getting a
shorrock supercharger, cost about 600 pounds WHEN you can get hold of
them!!
Cheers
Tim

                        Department of Haematology