Re: engine vib - analysis results

To: "CARS Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net \(E-mail\)"
Subject: Re: engine vib - analysis results
From: <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:13:52 -0500
Actual road speed doesn't matter. That
test was just to verify whether it was tranny,
driveline or engine.

Whether at 15 or 50 mph the vib. comes in
(is noticeable) at  2.5K and seems to fade above
3 krpm range regardless of gear selection.

Some have suggested 'components' contacting
the frame or weak mounts. All mounts are new
within the last 6 months/500 miles. With the tranny
out of the car... there was no vibration.

The last test was ...tranny out  with a jack under the
rear of the  engine, all 'front end' stuff (water plumbing etc)
still connected.

Rev'ing and holding the idle through the 2.5-3krpm
range was silky smooth (the engine does have new
balanced components ...pistons etc)

The pilot bushing was a bit of a sloppy fit on the
input shaft of the tranny when I pulled the bush and
checked it on the front of the tranny (input shaft)

I spun up the tranny with a drill on the bench last night
but can not say for sure what rpm I went up to
(who knows a 'work loaded' drill's, real speed)

I can't say I could perceive any vibration as I varied
the speed. After a quick internal exam, all the gears
look fine with minimal slop in motion tolerances.

I'm going to put the straight four speed I have
sitting here back in with the old pilot bushing and
matching driveshaft and test.  Well see what happens.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@gouldfo.com
www.teglerizer.com