engine probs?

To: Spitfire Enthusiast <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: engine probs?
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 06:29:55 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

You may remember from about 6 weeks ago that I had what I thought were
engine problems.  I haven't taken the car out until today becuase I have
been too depressed and pissed off with it.  Anyway I took her out for a
quick drive just now and at first it was making the regular
knocking/clunk noise that it was before, although I was not able to
determine wether this was engine or road speed related.

After a short time the knocking stopped and she just seemed reticent to
accelerate.  I took her back home and then took her out again and this
time the knocking noise returned and the car almost stalled if the revs
weren't kept high, so I limped round my housing estate to get back home
not going any higher than 2nd gear / 30mph.  Saskia was defnitely not
very happy at all and I was happy to make it home without stopping.

Once home I opened up the bonnet to see if I could see anything wrong.
One thing that is apparrent is that the water pump is literally pissing
water, it has been leaking for quite a while, so I am not sure if that is
now on it's way out, but could the water pump make the knocking noise?

Whenever I stepped on the accelerator pedal when parked I could hear a
very definite clunk coming from the engine bay.  This is entirely
reproducable once the revs have dropped a bit, if you step on the
accelerator the engine will clunk once.

Also when the engine was up to temperature and the choke was in the
engine speed dropped to 500rpm and almost stalled (I had to pull the
choke out a little to get a good idle speed).  I have never had this
problem with the car before either.

I am going to take her to the garage next weekend to get them to take a
look as this is beyond my diagnosis abilities.  Do any of you have any
idea what could cause these syptoms so I can guess as to how much getting
it put right might cost and point the garage in the right direction.

Any help is very much appreciated, as always,

cheers
John & Saskia the 1977 Spitfire 1500
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/