Differential Reconditioning

To: nass@yahoogroups.com, spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Differential Reconditioning
From: "Joe Guinan" <spitfirejoe@email.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 04:26:20 +0800
List members,

I just opened up the used rear differential I bought.  Everything looks to be
in very good shape inside, but I don't know whether or not to trust my eyes for
this sort of inspection.  Since it is out of the car and easy to work on, what
parts SHOULD be replaced before it is installed?  I'll certainly put a new
pinion oil seal in, but what else?  Also, will it do any harm to clean the
entire unit and subassemblies in a parts washer before I reassemble?  Any other
things to watch out for, or any little tricks to be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Joe Guinan
spitfirejoe@email.com