Re: { NASS } Differential Reconditioning

To: nass@yahoogroups.com, spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: { NASS } Differential Reconditioning
From: "Joe Guinan" <spitfirejoe@email.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 06:12:29 +0800
Listers,

I forgot to mention that I had to take the case apart in order to drill a drain
hole and tap it for a plug.  The gears have not been removed (I knew better
than that...).  I marked the side drive shafts for Right and Left so they
wouldn't get switched around (per instructions in my Bentley manual.

I was surprised that the diff gasket was so thin - looked like waxed paper, not
a gasket, and that the side seal housing plates didn't have any actual gaskets,
just a dark orange goo to seal them up.  But then, they aren't held in place by
a whole lot either, four allen head screws.

The pinion seal did seem a little dry and brittle, so I think it was a good
idea to check everything.

Again, thanks in advance for any advice.

Joe Guinan