Re: Under-rider + sump gaskets

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Under-rider + sump gaskets
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:38:57 +0000
In article <20020129214313.54066.qmail@web9601.mail.yahoo.com>, John
Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>Have you tried Spitfire Graveyard,

Dear John,

Excellent idea - and, no, I haven't.   I've become so used to getting my
second-hand parts from TRGB that I had forgotten all about the
Graveyard.

> I'm happy to wander along there and
>check the quality of the parts if you like?

That is very kind of you, and much appreciated.   I think the left and
right-hand ones are interchangeable, but if they are not, it is the
off-side one that I need to replace.   If you could find me a nice clean
and tidy one for a sensible price, I'd be much obliged.

>Am happy today as I got a quote for #100 to stick my new(to me) engine in
>Saskia and get her running again!  Although, when I added up the cost of
>parts that comes to #85!

Negative cost of parts?   Or did you miss out a "1" before the "85"? :-(

>Do any of you know what the oil seals on the sump pan gasket do?  Do I
>need them.  I thought that there would just be a gasket there, but
>rimmers list a sump gasket set, sump gasket with oil seals and a gasket
>only, but I don't know what the oil seals do.

Given the propensity of our cars to leak oil at the slightest excuse,
I'd say that leaving out oil seals (whatever they are supposed to do)
would be a *bad* move...

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"