Engine rebuild swindle - Lanky Fouche!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Engine rebuild swindle - Lanky Fouche!
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:41:35 -0500
Well, Ted Schumacher said he would contact Mr. Fouche today.  This evening I
was stunned to get a phone call from Lanky Fouche.  He said he had received my
fax and my letters, and he agreed with everything I said.  He admitted the
delay was due to his own procrastination, and he apologized.  He said he
guaranteed that I would get my engine by March 15; delivered to my home.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know it arrives.

I tried calling Ted today, but no one answered.  If you're reading the lists
Ted, thanks.

Mike           http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross/
'63 Spritfire
'66 Spitfire
'69 GT6 convertible project
'70 GT6+ (maroon)
'70 GT6+ (green)

Original post:

>Three years ago I consulted Ted Schumacher about using a TR6 engine in my
GT6
>convertible project.  He recommended a friend who was a chief mechanic for
the
>old Group 44 racing team, Lanky Fouche.  Mr. Fouche was highly recommended
by
>Ted as an honest, trustworthy and very excellent engine builder. He is from
>Sanford, NC, but I met him once here in Ohio when he was crew chief for a
>vintage car race at Mid Ohio Raceway.  With Ted's recommendation, I bought
the
>engine through Ted and made arrangements to have it modified; forged pistons
>and rings to handle turbo charging and a  ported and polished head with
>hardened valve seats.  I ordered the new pistons through Ted and he sent
them
>to Lanky.  I had to pay Lanky for the engine before he would modify it, so
Ted
>instructed me to send the money to Mr. Fouche.  Over the next year I talked
>with Mr. Fouche a couple of times indicating to him that I didn't need the
>engine right away since I was restoring the chassis and building a garage.
>However, I quit hearing from him.  When I called Ted a year and a half ago,
he
>said Lanky had had a heart attack.  I waited another six months and called
Mr.