Re: Black smoke...black plugs

To: Bill McGarry <billmcgarry@shaw.ca>,
Subject: Re: Black smoke...black plugs
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:31:29 -0700
At 02:33 PM 6/13/02 -0700, Bill McGarry wrote:
>Hi All,
>I need the benefit of your collective intelligence! I've got rebuilt
>1.25" SU's on my '79. The jets are good and they're fitted with "Lean"
>needles, shafts are tight etc., even when leaned right out I'm still
>getting black exhaust smoke... when i remove the oil filler cap rpms
>rise and there is far less smoking when i quickly blip the throttle.
>By the way compression is 140 lbs. across all four cylinders.
>Any clues on solutions?

You might have hit the problem on the head with the oil filler cap.  The
engine should be ventilated.  There should be a hose running from the valve
cover through a PCV valve and into either the carb or the intake manifold
depending upon your setup.  Sometimes people will remove the PCV valve and
that will let all oil fumes and vapor from the crankcase get sucked into
the intake manifold and through to the pistons where you get nice oily
smoke since that's what it is burning.

-Vegaman Dan