Re: NEW TOPIC - Why did you buy your Spit?

To: Spit List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: NEW TOPIC - Why did you buy your Spit?
From: Andre Rousseau <andrer@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:14:52 -0400
After spending 4 yrs in Germany in the mid eighties as a kid. I had grown to
love Porsches I still remember being passed by 3 one day. One red, one black
and one white.

I had my heart set on a 69 911 T
http://homepage.mac.com/andrer/gt6/story/images/porsche.gif

But could never find one locally. I pushed aside the idea as unrealistic.
Still wanting a summer car my wife and I decided on a mustang. Not my dream
car, but still something I could have fun in. One afternoon at work while
searching online for a Mustang my buddy came across this ad.

COLLECTOR & CLASSIC CARS  (4/11/01)
1968 TRIUMPH GT-6, minor repairs for safety, great engine, needs paint.

I had no idea what a GT6 was. So the research began the first pictures I
came across online were of a Plus. I sort of knew right away this was "My
car" RWD, hard top, euro sports car, but the design was far simpler due to
the mere fact the motor was up front. Making this a car I could learn and
fix myself. Bye Bye Porsche.

That evening I went over to owners place. An apartment building where the
car had sat for the better part of a yr. The PO was a young guy who had put
a fare bit of money into the car to get the motor running, but could not
safety it and had run out of patients and money.

I was absolutely thrilled when I saw the car. I liked the MK1 style over the
Plus the second I saw the her.

I did the first look over the car, knowing the basics. No holes, body was ok
and the motor did start. The owner was selling it "as  is." Which I'll admit
worried me. Next step was smoothing it over with my wife... Gents this is
always the hardest part. I still get into trouble once in a while, but point
out its a nice car and I'm happy.

Anyhow things worked and I was able to buy the car...
(Shots the days she came home, not me in the picture)
http://homepage.mac.com/justdrive/2001/04-17-01/index.htm

FAST FOWARD
A summer later full of good times, my GT6 waits dreaming of more driving.
Currently I'm busy with a full restore. In fact I should be out there right
now working on the chassis...

Motes; I made safety with new tires and steering rack bushings. The garage
he went to failed the car due to the hand brake, he did not know it was the
opposite of most cars to lock it... Heh

And my wife did warm up to the car after a few months.

A.

--
Andre Rousseau
1968 GT6 MK I - Ottawa