Re: Transmission and overdrive from a 79 (oops, 80) Spitfire

To: gary durham <gjdurham@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission and overdrive from a 79 (oops, 80) Spitfire
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 20:57:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, gary durham wrote:

>   Jon,
>
> Although I don't have the post saved, I believe that Fred mentioned the
> price at a bit OVER $600 (or words to that effect).

Yeah and I posted the numbers from the only two suppliers that actually
list trannies and OS's in their catalog and it did come in at "a little
over $600".
Victoria British - remanufactured tranny - $799
                   remanufactured OD - $949
Moss - not available
Rimmer Bros. - Tranny and OD - $645 (however, you must have a rebuildable
                                     core or you can't buy one.  Which
                                     eliminates most of the people involved
                                     in this discussion.)
That leavs TRF.  I haven't had a catalog fromt hem for a while, but even
if they have them, I doubt they are the majik $600 company.

>                                                      Also, regarding all
> the other comments from OTHERS on this subject... remember, it's not what
> you know all the time... sometimes it's WHO you know.  I've a
> professionally rebuilt overdrive and gearbox ('J') crated up and stored
> in my basement right now.  SIG-nificantly under $600.

And how much will you sell it for right now?? "SIG-nificantly under $600"?

>                                                        I've also just
> received a VERY professionally rebuilt gearbox (single rail) and paid
> UNDER $200 for it.  It's called networking... and making friends... doing
> favors for each other.  If I didn't know the guys, and hadn't done
> favors, hey, I'd not have gotten good deals.  Oh yeah, also got a perfect
> GT6 tranny for only $100 (plus shipping of about $18).

And if you don't have these contacts?? You either pay more or do without.

> So, sometimes its 'who' you know.  Get out there and start networking.
> And you DON'T pay hundreds of dollars for some unknown, or junkyard
> transmission,

The person who called it that doesn't have any knowledge of the history of
these parts.  Yeah, I bought them from a junkyard.  They were in his posession
for exactly 8 days.  This car was registered and inspected as recently as
1995.  The engine was run in the junkyard the day it was pulled in.  8 days
later it was in my driveway and the tranny and OD were out of the car.
Externally, it was cleaner than the one in the car I drive every day was
when I pulled it out to replace my clutch.

>                even if it IS with an overdrive, as you'll then spend MORE
> for the rebuild!

Assuming a rebuild is actually necessary.  I was satisfied enough with my
mechanical examination that I would have done nothing more than replace
the "O" rings.  And I don;t know that was necessary, just a practical
consideration considering they are rubber parts.

>                  Remember, the overdrive is really no big deal at all,
> unless you expect to drive long distances.  Not like it's worth even
> engaging about town.  'Ya know what I'm saying?

I would assume that the people (like myself) who are looking for them really
have a need for it.  Otherwise, why bother??

> Just my two cents.
> And, my network is mine alone.
> And, private e-mail should stay private.

I agree.

> And, an auction should never be allowed here... keep it private, after
> the first (only!) post about something for sale.

I did.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |