RE: Shocks n Springs and all things...

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: RE: Shocks n Springs and all things...
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:32:44 +0100
James,

I might be wrong about this, but I have a feeling that only America got the
pumped-up, nose-in-the-air front suspension, because only they had the
legislation that necessitated it.  So, if your DPO cut the springs down,
either he had American front suspension in there before (unlikely), or it
was at the right height in the first place, and he went and lowered it.

For every-day driving as you do, I would really think that standard
suspension was plenty hard and low enough.  If I were you I'd replace the
springs - they are under #20 each.

BTW, normal shocks should have absolutely zero effect on ride height - all
they do is damp the motion of the suspension so it doesn't keep bouncing up
and down, but it cannot provide a long-term force either up or down.

Shocks can only affect ride height by having adjustable spring perches
(thereby changing the distance between the end of the spring and the
mounting point on the chassis/wishbone), or the 'air shocks', which I don't
know much about but presumably use air pressure to provide an extra
springing effect.

A totally gone shock might contribute to bottoming out, by not damping the
initial movement of the wheel, but I wouldn't have thought it would make
that much difference.  Check the shocks by pushing down on the corner of
your car and letting it go - if it settles straight back to the original
position they are fine, if it bounces up and down several times they are
shot.

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the
sender
urgently and dispose of this email