Re: Resetting odometer question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Resetting odometer question
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:37:49 +0100
On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, at around 07:08:34 local time, Jeff McNeal
<jmcneal@ohms.com> wrote:
>Folks, I'm nearing completion on a '68 Mk3 that is totally new or freshly
>rebuilt.  Every nut, bolt, washer, screw and retainer has been removed,
>cleaned, polished, etc.  The body and frame were taken to bare metal and
>re-painted, the drivetrain is 100% newly rebuilt with zero miles, the
>upholstery is all new, etc.  In other words, this is going to be a brand-new,
>35-year-old car when I'm done, and I'd like to reset the speedometer I have
>(which was not fitted to this car originally) to read 0 miles to reflect this.
>I have no way of knowing the former mileage on this project car before I took
>it over, otherwise I'd probably just leave it alone.  Can anyone tell me how
>to reset the mileage on the OD to all zeros short of bringing the gauge to a
>speedometer shop and shelling out $50 to have them do it?

Yup.   Take it to bits, and put the digits back with all the zeroes
lined up.   Tony Rhodes has written a truly excellent guide to Smiths
speedo and odometer repair/recalibration which can be found at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes/Speedo.html

This will make doing so an absolute doddle.

>  I will have the
>gauge dismantled for cleaning very soon anyway.

Well, that makes it even easier, then. :-)

BTW, you do know that resetting odometers is against the law in most
countries/states, don't you?

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671