Re: Resetting odometer question

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Resetting odometer question
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 10:41:41 -0700
Are you SURE you want to do this?  Resetting an odometer is against the law
in most states as fraud.  We know you are working with a reborn car, but
the mileage of the original chassis is still valid.  I don't know how you
could ever tell what that actually is, especially if someone is swapping
frames, tubs, engines, and more around, but it's still valid.

What happens when you go to sell the car and you are required to state the
mileage to the State of California?

"Excuse me sir, but I think you may have made a mistake in the odometer
reading."

"No, that's correct.  It only has 1000 miles on it since I rebuilt the car
from scratch."

"It's a car built in 1968 and you are only counting the miles on it since
it was rebuilt?"

"Yes.  Everything is new on the car so it is a new car."

"So..... what you are trying to say is that from the years 1968 through
2002, the car did not move at all?  It was in storage?"

That's the logic the DMV will be looking at.  In Washington State, the
above discussion would result in rather nasty cirumstances since you would
have to admit to odometer fraud, even in ignorance.

Even under the best circumstances, you cannot change the odometer to any
number you feel like.  If so, I'd like to change the odometers on my
vehicles too.  I could sell my motorcyle with only 4 miles on it instead of
40,000!

-Vegaman Dan