Re: Starter spacers vs. shims

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter spacers vs. shims
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:39:00 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>

> Hello all.  I've got a rebuilt starter installed with an aluminum spacer
> that's roughly .5" thick (just eyeballing it) between the starter and the rear
> engine plate.  I've seen references in catalogs made to starter "shims".  My
> question is this:  Is there a difference between the starter spacer that I
> have installed and the starter shims?

Yes there is a difference. The shims are literally thin wafers of shim steel.

> If I have a spacer, do I need the shim
> as well?

The shims are there for fine adjustment. I don't know if there's anything on
this in the workshop manual.

> I'd like to find the answer to this question before I turn the key
> on this car for the first time!  Thanks in advance.

I have to admit to always being a bit sloppy about which shims go in and I've
not (yet) had a problem on any of the 50+ Triumphs I've owned,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics