Yet another battery box question

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Nass" <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Yet another battery box question
From: "Jon" <triumph@bigolbear.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 07:44:05 -0500
Hi All,
I'll be working my back up to the front of Ol' Yeller next and in light of
the recent threads about relocating batteries, floating batteries, etc I'm
wondering... where does the drain go TO?
The existing battery box bottom was fiberglassed at some point and there's
no drain. From what others have said, I'm guessing once it rotted through
its been letting acid seepage run into the passenger footwell and
contributing to the general mayhem there. If I put a drain in, where do I
route it? It seems if I take it out the front of the bulkhead it would
dribble the aforementioned corrosive runoff down the front of the bulkhead
and eventually ruin the new paint. If I somehow tube it down under the car
it would trail along the frame or floorpan with the same results.
How about those mats that go under the battery to neutralize any runoff?
They work? Should I just put a solid floor in the battery box and be done
with it? AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaa....

And as to relocating into the trunk- any risk of hydrogen sulfide gas
buildup right near the petrol tank? Another concern, my first car was a '66
MGB (can I say that here?) and the battery had been relocated to the trunk
from the original drink coolers behind the seats- a shop had told me the
extra cable length could drop the voltage far enough to cause issues with
starting and charging. Any truth or concerns that a 7' cable to the starter
would be troublesome?

TIA for any and all comments, thoughts, suggestions, experiences, etc...

"Any drive you don't return from on a tow truck was a good one..."
Jon
'77 (mostly) 1500 "Ol' Yeller"
FM66043 7U
Nass #104