Re: Yet another battery box question

To: "Jon" <triumph@bigolbear.com>, "Spitlist"
Subject: Re: Yet another battery box question
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 05:35:42 -0800
The battery drain hose ran from the battery box through the *inside* of the
tub area on the footwell and then down to a hole in the bottom of the tub
floor (no really, there are actually holes that are meant to be there when
it comes off the assembly line!).  The Spits I've torn down had remnants of
a rubber hose for this job.

The battery can be located anywhere provided that the cable you use is of a
large enough gauge that you do not have a voltage drop across it.  Stick
with #4 and above (pretty darn thick, I'm afraid) to minimize this voltage
drop, otherwise you may find only 11 volts or less getting to the starter
motor itself.

A seven foot run is not bad at all.  A lot of Ford products have starter
cables much longer than that as they run power from the battery to a
starter solenoid and then down to the starter- a distance much longer than
seven feet in total.