Re: brake line

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake line
From: Reed Mideke <rfm@collectivecomputing.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 13:25:25 -0800
Nolan Penney wrote:

> You can try to make the flare yourself, but it's not easy.  Especially
> with the hardened lines and the cheap flare kits on the market today.
> You may also get lucky and be able to order a properly fitted generic
> line from the likes of NAPA and such.  But you will have to deal with
> the incorrect length, and trying to bend it to fit...without kinking it.
FWIW, I have had reasonable success making lines for the spit
using a cheapo flare tool. Do expect to throw a few attempts away.
An engine accesory pully makes a decent bender for large radius
curves. For tighter bends, you probably want the bender they sell
at the auto parts store.
If you have to make a complex shape, using a piece of welding rod
or other stiff wire can help you figure out where you want all the
bends.

As always, it is up to you to ensure your work is safe.

--
Email:    rfm(at)collectivecomputing.com or rfm(at)portalofevil.com
Home page:                   http://www.collectivecomputing.com/rfm