Test drive successful

To: wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca, matt@farc.org, geocln@earthlink.net,
Subject: Test drive successful
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:58:40 -0400
Hi all,

Well, I drove the Spit last night and it went really well.  I first went
down through my neighborhood, not too far from home (just in case...), then
I went out and did an 11 or 12 mile loop south of my house.  The car drove
like it used to, but faster.  I did note a few things:

1.  The car now makes a bit of a whine as engine speed increases.  Not sure
if this is a function of the carbs, points distributor, or a combination.
But it didn't do this when I had the Weber carb and electronic ignition....
Not a complaint, just an observation.

2.  Oil pressure seemed high - aroung 80psi at startup, 65-ish at speed, but
dropped to 50-55 at the end of the drive when everything was good and hot.
Are different springs for the pressure relief valve available and should I
even worry about these numbers?

3.  Seems the power is higher up in the rev range (3K and up).  It's still a
bit weak in the low end.  I'm assuming this is cam, but would a different
carb needle profile help here?  As I recall, the cam is supposed to have a
2500-6000 (6500??) rpm power band....

4.  At shutdown, the engine diesels a bit - 4 or 5 "pops" before it finally
stops.  How do you fix this?  Would it be an indication of a rich mixture
condition?

5.  At shutdown, I still have some fuel spilling out of the float bowl
overflow/vent tubes.  I have this routed around the front of the engine to
the driver's side to keep it away from the hot exhaust, but still have no
way of knowing whether it's doing this as I drive, or only at shut down.

Other than these things, I'm very happy with the results.  I still have to
clean the spark plugs and try again so I can get a good reading of the
mixture from them, maybe tonight...

WOOOHOOOOO!!!

George P.