Re: Another successful (?) test drive...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another successful (?) test drive...
From: "Steve Carter" <steve@juggler.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:24:11 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Braun" <doug@dougbraun.com>
To: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 3:58 AM

> >Other than those things, it ran pretty well.  Still a bit weak in power
in the lower revs.

> I think the "power band" of most aftermarket cams is exaggerated.  The
Spit engine
> will always be a bit weak in the lower revs.  If you somehow got it to
have a lot of low-end
> torque, it would have no high end at all.

I did this by running with knackered carbs!  It pulled great from 1000 to
2000 revs and dropped right off by 3000.

Now I've recon'd the carbs I *seem* to have less low-end grunt (though
that's maybe because I've got power higher up now).  Strangely, I seem to
have a dead spot around 3500.  If I floor it it pulls happily up to 4000
then behaves well at these higher revs.  Any ideas?  Also experienced some
popping from the exhaust when gradually slowing down from about 3500 revs.