Another Spitfire in the Hangar (longish)

To: "spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another Spitfire in the Hangar (longish)
From: "griffco" <griffco@griffco.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:51:55 -0600
Hi all,
    Just had to let you know I've rescued another one from a wrecking yard!

For my birthday on Monday, I treated myself to an afternoon of poking around
wrecking yards.  I was actually heading for a truck wreckers and walked into
the office next door by mistake.  When I realized I was in the wrong place, I
asked "Don't s'pose you've got any British cars in?"  I always start vague
like that since most wrecking yard people don't know a Triumph, much less a
Spitfire.  By mentioning "British" they often say "Oh, there's some odd car in
the back row - might be British......"  Which leads me to get a look around.

Anyway, this guy says "Yes, there's a Triumph Spitfire in the back yard."  I
nearly fell over.  So I went out back to have a look.  What a sorry site - a
1974 Pimento Red 1500 - no motor, but steel header, transmission, diff, 4
wheels (with very flat but good treaded tires).  Cracked windshield, tattered
roof, interior rotted, but everything there.

I asked the guy "How much?"  and he said I'd have to ask Bruno, but Bruno
won't be in till Wednesday.  I went back Wednesday and Bruno turned out to be
a very nice youngish (comparitively) fellow.  He made me name a price I'd be
willing to pay.  I knew $300 was my limit, so offered $250 and he said "Sure,
I'd have asked $300, but will take $250".

So today I towed it home.  I told my wife I went to the wreckers to buy a
Spitfire bumper I found, but there was a bunch of other stuff still fastened
to it, so I brought it all home!  She loved it.

I may be able to save the commission plate, but if not I think I got my $250
(Canadian) worth.
Cheers, Fred