Re: Hot & spitting

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hot & spitting
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:54:36 -0400
You don't mention smelling gasoline, and it's been my experience that
with boiling fuel in the bowls, gasoline fumes are just rolling out from
under the bonnet.  The engine will also idle terribly, and does not
smooth out going up a long hill.  So I'm not so sure you've got a
boiling carburetor problem.

How does this engine idle when hot?  And after it's been farting, how
does it idle?  When it does clear it's throat and get running right, if
you back off the gas and then re-apply immediately, what happens?

>>> "Dave Smith" <dave@gioserve.co.uk> 07/03/03 10:59AM >>>
I have a Mk 3 from '68 which is a tired old nail but provides plenty
of
entertainment through the summer & recreation through the winter. It's
had a problem for some time which is getting a little worse &
beginning
to be a pain, so I was wondering whether anyone out there could help.

After 20 miles or so, once the engine is good & warm, it starts to
misfire. This will happen at 20 or 70 and happens mainly when
accelerating: power is feeble, the engine note becomes wetly flatulent
and there are noisy backfires, sometimes out of both ends. After maybe
minute of accelerating on full throttle, say up a long hill, and
complaining all the time it sometimes clears its throat & goes OK
while
the throttle stays wide open. This started a few years ago on very
warm
days (75f is very warm to me) after 40+ miles but now it's becoming
too
frequent to ignore.

Things that have been changed without stopping it:

Coil, Leads. Plugs, points condenser (several times). Distributor &
cap.
Fuel pump. Fuel lines (& tank cleaned), the line from pump was
insulated. Carb needles & jets, floats & valves (set for height,
synchronised, check the pistons are free moving, have oil etc etc.).
The
block and head have changed twice, as well, in that time.

Any ideas?

My feeling is that the problem is with the carbs, as it's a misfire
and
they are the only thing which hasn't changed. But, I'd like some
confidence before splashing out on new ones at half the value of the
car. Not that I'm tight or anything, you understand.

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.