Rear wheel bearings. Should have taken pictures!

To: "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>, "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear wheel bearings. Should have taken pictures!
From: "Bill Gingerich" <wrgingerich@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:54:07 -0500
Greetings, Fellow Listers,

Once again I must humble myself before the Collective Wisdom Of The Listers.
I finally have the suspension parts back from being powder coated.  I've
read the Bentley book procedure so many times I almost have it memorized.
But a question has arisen: What exactly does the term "trailing" mean?  Does
trailing mean "last into the hole?"  If I press the inner bearing into the
trunnion with the lettering trailing, does that mean the lettered side of
the bearing is last into the hole, i.e.: facing toward the u-joint?  How
about the inner seal?  I've also managed to forget which way the outer seal
goes.  (Insert picture here of me banging my head on something suitably
painful.)  It shouldn't be this complicated!  I know rear bearings have been
done by many of you.  HEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPP !!!!

BillG