Re: Installing door waist seals - what's the secret?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Installing door waist seals - what's the secret?
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:29:02 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com>

> Should I install the clips to the door first, then try to push the seal down
> onto the clips?  Is that where I've been making my mistake?  TIA

Hi Jeff,
    The correct procedure is to fit the clips to the seal first (this part is
easily done by hand) then pull the clips up onto the door flange using the
correct tool as described in the factory workshop manual. It really is an easy
procedure with the right tool (which also fits the outer strip) as long as you
give yourself enough clearance by dropping the winding window from it's
mechanism so it sits in the bottom of the door. We had a small batch of the
tools manufactured (they're quite primitive) and sell them for 8.00 pounds each
at events. We were surprised how many we sell as we had always assumed that
everyone makes their own! Using the suspension shim won't work as it only
supports one side and the bottom edge - the correct tool has the clip sat in
the bottom of a 'U' so it is full supported and cant' pull away and break the
strip ass you have experienced.
    The outer strip should be held in place on the top of the door and the clip
applied simultaneously to both components at the same time. The tool used is
the same as that for the inner strip.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--