Re: Did I fry my Ballat wire?

To: Chris DeStaffany <destaff@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Did I fry my Ballat wire?
From: D H <scuba_wi@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 05:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
If your car has a coil with a ballast resistor it
could be the resistor that's burned out.  The easiest
thing to do is use a volt/ohm meter to see if you have
a dead short in the resistor.  The meter should read 0
Ohms.  If it reads high you have a short in the
resistor.  You can either replace it or you can
install a newer sport coil like the Pertronix
Flamethrower and remove the ballast resistor.  That's
what I did.

If that's not the problem then check all the wires
using the meter.  It would tell you which one is
shorted out.

Dan Hunt

--- Chris DeStaffany <destaff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So I put the new head on and while I'm in there, I'm
> cleaning up some of the left over wires that the PO
> had every where. Driving around town and all of
> sudeen
> it stopped.  A conncetion had come loose. Anyway,
> the
> upshot is that I ended up grounding out a wire that
> came from the hot side of the coil and lost
> ignition.
> Got the car home by running a wire from hot side of
> battery to plus side of coil.  The ignition switch
> is
> working because the guages come on and the like.
>
> So, did I burn out the ballast wire.  I can find no
> evidence that anything overheated.  I went out like
> blew a fuse but the wiring diagram shows none and I
> could find none.  What do you'all think and what is
> my
> best remedy.
>
> Chris DeStaffany
> Friday Harbor, Wa

=====
Only two things that are infinite:the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
so sure about the universe.