Re: Lost my Diff? Part 2

To: "R.D. Waid" <waids@usfamily.net>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lost my Diff? Part 2
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:32:05 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: R.D. Waid <waids@usfamily.net>

> After I sent my first note on this topic, I discovered loose bolts at
> the transmission/drive shaft connection. After replacing them all with
> new hardware, I ran the car on the jackstands. There is a rumbling noise
> in the drivetrain at various points as I go through the gears. Perhaps
> most important, when I spin the rear wheels by hand with the car in
> gear, the driveshaft does not turn. I'm still thinking the diff is on
> the way out.

Hi Bob,
    Sorry I missed the earlier parts of this thread, but what you're describing
sounds perfectly normal. The rumbling you will hear with the car on stands is
quite alarming, but it will be there even with a car in A1 condition. I would
not expect the propshaft to turn when one wheel is turned by hand if the car is
in gear, I would expect the other wheel to turn in the opposite direction. If
the car is in gear, the path of least resistance is through the diff rather
than through the engine and gearbox, so the opposite wheel will turn rather
than the engine,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--