RE: Stupid question perhaps??

To: "'Philip Warburton'" <cplimey@shaw.ca>,
Subject: RE: Stupid question perhaps??
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:51:24 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Philip Warburton
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 4:39 PM
To: SPIT mail list
Subject: Stupid question perhaps??

I have searched the archives on this list as well as NASS but can find
no
thread.

What is the general consensus as to grade of gasoline to use in our
cars?
Specifically I am talking about the 73-80 15009s with a standard engine
and
no special tuning modifications.
Using unleaded( as I imagine we are all using these days, both side of
the
pond) in a non modified engine.

In Canada we generally have 4 grades....87,89,91 & 94 octane.
TIA for your input.

Cheers,

  *** Philip ***
1975 Spitfire 1500 - FM32468U
(otherwise known as CJ)

Philip,
Use the lowest octane grade that will not result in detonation.  If you
detect detonation and can't stop it by adjusting timing, go to the next
higher grade until the detonation stopps.

Cheers,
Joe