Re: Jonmac - a reply from himself

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Jonmac - a reply from himself
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:01:38 +0100
My dear FRIENDS
I feel very humbled by the avalanche of emails I have received in the last 48
hours in response to the message posted by my son, Edward. I cannot even begin
to express how I feel towards all those who have said such kind and generous
things and who have offered so much encouragement. I am so undeserving of this
and not ashamed to admit that I was greatly moved by many very special
expressions of sentiment.
Thank you all!!
I suspect one or two may have misunderstood from the 'advisory post' that I
was possibly on the verge of wondering if it was all worthwhile? You bet it
is!!!!!! As far as I'm concerned, the world is stuck with me for a while yet -
just as three of the many diverse and crap products of the former "Standard
Motor Comedy" upon which I continue to pour light-hearted scorn, total
irreverence and much tongue-in-cheek criticism, are stuck with me as their
custodian. Both cars have had their tantrums over the last week or so, neither
have responded to a good swearing at - and we currently view one another from
garage and house - with defiance. The tractor of course, behaves impeccably
and, as usual, celebrated its birthday (the 53rd) hauling bales of hay from
field to barn. Had a marginal spot of bother with the brakes on a steep hill
with a fully loaded trailer behind (120 bales) - but the 76:1 first gear
sorted that. Had things been different, I'd have arrived in the bar of my
local pub in fine style with a still running engine and a loaded trailer in
*extremely* close attendance.
Looking back, I suppose if I'd wanted an easier, more boring, less fulfilling,
unchallenging life on four old wheels, there would have been no choice but to
have had an MG. So while my own driveline may be a bit 'clonky' at the moment,
it's only a question of some new bushings, some moly grease in the splines and
a new Hardy Spicer - or two. Oh yes, and some re-lined shoes for the tractor
brakes.
When I'm feeling a little more inclined to do some serious work after the
effects of today's and next week's 10 Gigaf***s of radiation have receded a
bit, a certain "Lucas fuel injection system" will be receiving my attention
and I'll be back on form in upsetting the neighbours, driving too fast and
definitely MAKING TOO MUCH NOISE. I'm afraid you haven't got rid of me yet -
but bless you all for everything you have said. It means so much. Please
accept this general message in place of another more personal one to each
individual who has written to me. I've kept all of them and they are much
treasured.

Cheers, Jonmac