Propshaft and Diff play - parts for sale

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Propshaft and Diff play - parts for sale
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:08:44 +0100
Hi Listers,

I've been trying to track down a knocking noise that sounded like UJ's but
didn't quite have the usual symptoms...

Anyway... I jacked up the car and had a good look - couldn't feel the UJ's
being loose (though I may have been feeling the wrong way) - I ran the engine
and made the wheels turn over - no knocking noise (the noise Im trying to
locate seems to be quite infrequent)...

Anyway - with the wheels jacked up - what should the wheels do? With mine the
right wheel was rotating and the left was rotating rather uneven... sort of
like it was getting stuck...

Now I know that the diff is on the way out - because I makes a bit of a whine
every now and then... but should they rotate equally?

What I did find however was a load of loose nuts on the propshaft and half
shaft yokes... rather dodgy! Need to get some new nuts for those...

Lastly - how much play should there be in the propshaft and halfshafts? ie in
the diff...

Lastly does anyone want any bits off a 1500? I am finally taking my old car
apart... and I shall have lots of parts that will be taking up too much space
in the already junk filled garage...

James

69 Signal Red Spit & 77 Pimento Red Spit