RE: 1147cc tune-up carb problems... found the culprit

To: "'Chris DeStaffany'" <destaff@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: 1147cc tune-up carb problems... found the culprit
From: "Tim Benner" <tbenner@woh.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:07:54 -0400
Absolutely right!

Both carbs have loose throttle shafts.  But the front one drops the engine
speed several hundred rpms when the throttle shaft is squirted with carb
cleaner.  Sounds like it would probably stall if given more than a one
second spray.

I have seen oversize shafts.  But does anyone make a brass bushing set for
these?  That seems like it would be a more permanent solution compared to
steel on pot metal.  Is there a temporary solution for this until new shafts
or bushings can be acquired?

Thanks again to all!

Tim Benner
1965 MK2

It sounds like you probably have worn throttle shafts.
 Easiest way to tell is, while the engine is running,
shoot a little carb cleaner where you think there
might be a leak.  If the engine changes rpm, you've
got a leak.  Then it is time for a rebush.

Christopher DeStaffany
Friday Harbor, Wa