Fitting new shocks

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Fitting new shocks
From: Scott Deakin <scott@deaks.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:54:51 +0100
Hi All,

I apologise for such a trivial question, but I am having a little
difficulty fitting some new shock absorbers - my 1500 failed it's MOT -
but thankfully only on the near-side rear shock - since I also had a new
rear spring to be installed, I decided to fit two new shocks and the
spring at the same time.  Everything came off okay - although liberal
use of a lump hammer and some wood did help somewhat - and the new
spring went in without too much trouble.  Unfortunately, I cannot say
the same for the shocks.  For some reason I keep fouling the rubber
bushes when I try to insert the upper part of the shock into the chassis
so I cannot fit the bolt through the bush - essentially the bush folds
near the edges and even a serious amount of wiggling for about half an
hour did not seem to help.  I eventually placed a jack under the shock
and and forced it in (bad idea probably - but I was running out of
patience) and it almost worked, but not quite.

Any Hints?

TIA
Scotty