Re: Tach Repair

To: Gary Roderick <garyr@MTENT.COM>
Subject: Re: Tach Repair
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:58:55 -0600
Gary Roderick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some time ago someone posted a link to a document labeled "Speedometer and
> Tachometer Repair", but the document ( or at least as much as was available
> ) only gave a repair procedure for the speedo.
>
> Does anyone know of a tachometer repair guide? I have a 66 Spit MK2 daily
> driver with Jeager gauges and the tachometer has started spinning up way
> past correct values. It now spends most of it's time laying against the zero
> from the wrong side. A good thump when it's warm will straighten it out for
> a while, but not long. Never seen this before. Does this sound like a
> repairable problem? Any thoughts anyone?

One possibility (among others) is that the driven cable is starting to stretch
a bit, and the drive is pushing a bit to
hard on the bearing assembly carrying the needle. When it does it next, instead
of whacking it, loosen the cable nut a
couple of turns and pull back on the cable and see what happens.

Another is that there's enough dirt and dust mixed in with the lubricant in the
bearing assembly that it's sticking.

If it floats or wobbles before it buries itself on the pin, that can also be a
very tired tension spring.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.