Crank pulley

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank pulley
From: Walker910@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:22:29 EDT
Has anyone else noticed this?  As I put things back together after having my
engine rebuilt ('70 Mark III, 1296) I noticed that the crankshaft pulley was
not in line with the water pump pulley and the generator pulley.  With the fan
belt in place, it clearly showed it was off by about 1/4".  I figured I had
really screwed something up, and had my mechanic look at it.  But he said
everything was correct from an assembly point of view, and couldn't figure out
why
it was off.  Once he had determined that it was the original pulley, his only
suggestion was to mill it down until it was close to in line with the others.

Last month I went to the British Field Meet in Portland and checked all the
Spits there.  Three of the Spitfires there had the same problem, two about the
same as mine, and one of them a good 1/2" off!  I talked to the owner about
it, and he said he had never noticed it--and this car was close to a daily
driver.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and how they corrected it?

Bob