Re: Crank pulley

To: Walker910@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crank pulley
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 22:06:28 EDT
In a message dated 10/1/2003 9:26:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Walker910@aol.com writes:

> ...As I put things back together after having my
> engine rebuilt ('70 Mark III, 1296) I noticed that the crankshaft pulley was
>
> not in line with the water pump pulley and the generator pulley.  With the
> fan
> belt in place, it clearly showed it was off by about 1/4"....
>
> Last month I went to the British Field Meet in Portland and checked all the
> Spits there.  Three of the Spitfires there had the same problem, two about
> the
> same as mine, and one of them a good 1/2" off!...
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and how they corrected it?

Bob, as a point of reference, for whatever it's worth, I checked an original
1972 Spitfire MkIV currently in my care (and for sale, but that's another
story). I didn't actually measure anything, but it would appear that the crank
and
alternator pulleys are in line, and the water pump pulley "might" be about
1/8" closer to the engine. I know the crank pulley is original, although it
has
been off at least once for an oil seal replacement. I think the alternator al
so is original, but I'm not sure. I do remember putting a new water pump on
this car some years ago -- probably the ubitquitous Q-H replacement pump.

The misalignment on this car does NOT seem to be enough to cause any problems
with the drive belt itself, as there don't seem to be any wear or "stress"
marks.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.