Mk. 3 Spitfire Overdrive Conversion

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Mk. 3 Spitfire Overdrive Conversion
From: Alex Cherington <a_flying_scotsman@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:16:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I have a non OD gearbox from my old 1967 Mk 3 Spitfire
and am thinking of having it rebuilt for use in my
current 1970 Mk 3. As the gearbox will be completely
dismantled I was wondering about having the overdrive
added at this time. I have seen several OD units on
Ebay recently and wondered if this was good idea.

What is the correct OD fitted to the Mk3?

What other gearbox parts are needed to make a standard
gearbox into an OD gearbox?

Are alloy bellhousings worth the weight saving?

Thanks