Fuel Pump pressure

To: "Spit Elist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Pump pressure
From: "Ken" <sdspitfire@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:09:53 -0700
Anyone ever had a mechanical fuel pump suddenly develop higher than normal
pressure ? I can understand the diaphragm rupturing and the pressure
dropping to zero, but is there a failure mode causing higher pressure ?

The reason for the question, I'm having difficulty getting the new engine to
idle properly. Went ahead and pulled the dual HS4's and replaced them with
dual HS2's and the problem remains. Both carburetor sets worked perfectly on
the old engine. Been through all the normal troubleshooting procedures to no
avail. The problem could be fuel getting past the needle and high fuel pump
pressure could be the cause.

TIA ... Ken C