RE: Wheel sizes (non-LBC)

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wheel sizes (non-LBC)
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:15:49 +0100
When off-roading (which, less face it, most SUVs rarely/never do) the large
diameter wheels should make a real difference, climbing over obstacles:
        ____
       /    \
      /      \
___  |        |                            ___    __
   |  \      /                            |   |  /  \
   |   \____/     will climb easier than  |   |  \__/  if you see what I
mean...

For similar reasons I suppose the huge 20" wheels on the new Rolls-Royce
should give a smoother ride than smaller wheels, but I doubt it makes THAT
much difference.

A large diameter tyre will have a larger contact area with the road, which
may improve grip, which is generally a good thing!  On the other hand, that
could lead to more easy aquaplaning on a very wet road, which is not such a
good thing.

Richard (no Daffy no more :( )

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.