Re: vertical links

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vertical links
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:17:35 -0400
Not really answering your question, but FWIW I've had two vertical links
break
while driving.  Unless you enjoy veering into the oncoming lane, it can be
a scary experience!  Vertical links ARE available new, albeit a bit pricey
at $125 or so each.
So if there's any doubt about their condition, not only if they're bent, but
if they
haven't been regularly lubed with gear oil, replace 'em for your peace of
mind.

You might also want to replace the trunnions too.  I suspect that worn parts
and the resultant play in the suspension may contribute to vertical link
failure.
It's amazing to me the cornering forces that thin threaded top of the VL
(and
drilled out too!) takes.

Best!

Greg Rowe

>From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
>To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
>Subject: vertical links
>Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:21:48 -0500
>
>I am sorting out the best parts for my reconstruction. I got to the
>vertical
>links, of the '77 I stripped down, and the left side looked as if the stud
>the
>trunnion screws onto was bent. I had two spare vertical links with the
>brakes
>and trunnions. I stripped them down and found the same thing. The left
>vertical link stud, for the trunnion, is bent out toward the wheel bearing
>spindle. Is this a fluke?
>I haven't stripped the '73 yet, but if it is the same should I be looking
>for
>another left side vertical link?
>
>Larry

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!