min/max ignition advance?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: min/max ignition advance?
From: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:34:33 -0800
Hi all,

(I'm a refugee from the spridget list - this is for a '77/'79 Midget, so
bear with me... ;)  )

I have some questions on tuning my newly-freshened 1500. Here's the new
spec:
-flat top pistons
-TSI 275-4 cam
-twin HS4's with AAQ needles and K&N's
-Maniflow 4-2-1 header

I'm looking for recommendations for initial ignition timing/advance and
maximum ignition advance. I've swapped the old Lucas 45DM4 for a Mallory
dual point, to give me more control over the advance curve, should I
need to.

Right now the car runs, but it seems to like to run very advanced - as I
try to bring the ignition timing down to 10 deg. BTDC, it just wants to
stall. The carbs are set at the initial setting of 12 flats down, and I
haven't really played with them, as I haven't ben able to get the timing
right yet. When I lift a carb piston, the rpms will drop, but I assume
that this is partially due to the incorrect timing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-=Chris

Chris King
http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/