Winterize & sign off

To: "spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Winterize & sign off
From: "griffco" <griffco@griffco.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:15:02 -0700
Well, I think its time to sign off the list.  My ' 74 1500 project is finally
finished and won Best Restoration at our European Classic Car Show in Calgary
this year, over 200 entries.  The restoration has been going on long enough -
off and on for 14 years, seriously for the last 8.  I still need a hood, and
hood cover, but later...

Since midnight we've had 5 or more inches of snow, its now piled up 3 feet
high in drifts around my garage.  And to think the MG's were cruising past my
place on Sunday, tops down, radios crooning.  Meanwhile I was like the
industrious ant (of the Ant & Grasshopper fable) stowing my Spits in their
coocoons, doing yard work and being all too responsible.

I must say thanks to all on this list who have answered my questions over the
past how many years.  I've had great help from all, received a few small parts
in the mail for just the cost of postage, and been encouraged by listers.  I
have also contributed my share too, I think, with dashboard templates, wiring
diagrams, door handle rebuild info, and probably many other items.

Now my attention turns to another British beast -  a 1965 Land Rover 88" short
wheel base station wagon. ( I've now found about 5 LR forums and lists to keep
up with. ) We bought it for my wife's birthday at the end of July.  I worked
on it steadily for a month to get it roadworthy, and we took it to the show
where it won the Picnic Basket Competition.  It too gets a lot of attention -
just like Spitfires do.  Then a week later some jerk came through a yield sign
and my wife couldn't avoid broadsiding him.  She's shook up, bruised and
generally sore, but OK.  Did you know a lady's leg will bend the rolled edge
of the steel parcel tray on a Land Rover?  The Land Rover is almost a write
off, $6000 damage.  Both fenders, radiator, and worst of all the frame.  We're
negotiating with the insurance co to do the repairs ourselves, so it looks
like they'll let us keep it without 'salvaging' it.  That'll mean no need for
a reinspection when the work's done.  We were going to restore it next year,
but it looks like a 'this winter' job.

Cheers to all, and keep Spittin'

I'll be back when I start the next Spitfire in a year or so.
Fred Griffiths,
Calgary