Re: welding tricks

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welding tricks
From: "mikeross" <mikeross@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 19:24:46 -0500
Larry,

If possible, try to find a copper pipe or brass punch that will fit in the
good arm tube tightly, but allow you to rotate it. Then you can insert it in
the broken tube, squeeze the cracked edges of the tube together and tack
weld.  The molted metal will not stick to the copper or brass.

If your can't get a copper or brass pipe or dowel to fit the opening, your
can just close the gap with a pair of vise gripes and weld the crack.  Then
you'll have to dress the hole with an appropriate sized drill bit.

I made a similar repair on my control arm a couple years ago:
http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross/WsbRpr.html

Good luck,

Mike