Midget thermostat housing?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget thermostat housing?
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:10:53 -0500
Friends -

So I'm looking over a friend's copy of "A practical guide to restoring
the Triumph Spitfire" and see a note about installing a thermostat
housing from a Midget because it has a filler plug. Since the
thermostat housing is higher than the radiator on a Spit, this allows
more complete filling of the coolant system.

OK, sounds reasonable to me. So let's ask the two most obvious
questions:

1. Does this actually work? Is this a worthwhile application since
Midget thermostat housings are available used for about $10 from a
variety of sources.

2. Which model Midget should I get a housing from? I note that there
are three stock numbers for housings to match the three engine types. I
would guess that the 1500 Midget engine would be the most appropriate,
and would contain that filler plug.

Thanks for the advice.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC