Re: Herald Rear end

To: "Shane Bradley" <Shaneb@globe.net.nz>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Herald Rear end
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:49:17 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: Shane Bradley <Shaneb@globe.net.nz>

> I have just purchased a 13/60 herald. it has been sitting for a couple of
> years. i was told that the u/j's were alittle gone but i am not so sure,
> just thought i would pop a message out to ask what i should be looking for
> at in the rear? (i know U/j's) Does anyone have a diagram about how the rear
> end should look? the noise its making is kind of a clunk clunk, but its hard
> to tell exactly as the brakes are rubbing as well. It appears to be more on
> the rear left side.

Hi Shane,
    The UJ will give a rhythmic tick or clunk (depending how bad it's got) when
the side in question is frewwheeling, so mainly on the overrun (foot off
throttle) or when cornering. It's very common with the swing axle Triumphs, but
when checking look for shiny spots where the circlip has moved against the
bearing cap of the UJ. This indicates wear in the yoke which will need a new
halfshaft or flange to fix properly.
    I would suggest subscribing to the Yahoo! group for Heralds, plenty of
Herald specific info being traded:
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--