Re: 3-Rail Gearbox Rebuild -- What Do I Need?

To: doug@dougbraun.com
Subject: Re: 3-Rail Gearbox Rebuild -- What Do I Need?
From: Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:02:03 -0800 (PST)
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the advice. To answer a couple of your
questions...

The reason why I chose not to rebuild the existing
tranny is that I need to be able to drive my Spitfire
while rebuilding the other transmission. Since I've
never done a gearbox rebuild before (and will likely
run into a few hitches here and there), I figure I'd
buy a good used 'box and rebuild it without having to
worry about having the car off the road for too long.
And I wanted to upgrade to a 4-synchro box anyway, so
it seems to make sense! If only I could afford an O/D
box...

I will do a disassembly and inspection before ordering
parts, but I figured there must be some "definites" to
get that are just replaced no matter what their
condition when doing a rebuild. Like you said, it
seems like synchros, bearings and gaskets all fall
into that category. I think perhaps the layshaft too
is usually replaced?

I'm debating whether or not to do the clutch again as
well. I replaced it a mere 2000 miles ago with the
Quinton Hazell 3-piece set, and I've been reading how
people suggest the Borg & Beck set for durability. I
don't imagine I'll put more than 10K miles on the car
over the next 5 years, so it probably doesn't make
sense.

Thanks for your help!

Adam
'70 Spit Mk3