Very HOT Interior

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Very HOT Interior
From: drsnydr@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:20:09 +0000
I could use your thoughts on the possible/likely causes of heat in the interior
of my '76 Spitfire.  I've turned off the heater at the valve, and manually
closed the vents, so I'm pretty sure the heat is leaking (more like pouring) in
from the engine and drivetrain.  I can feel it at our feet and just generally
blasting in from under the dash/through the firewall (even shooting up out of
the gearshift boot).  A friend tells me I should install an ABS tranny cover,
but I wanted to see if there might be any other less difficult and expensive
things to try first.

If not, and the tranny cover replacement is the thing to do, I definitely need
some help.  I've found the cover itself, but I can't find anyplace that sells
the cover for the cover (carpet, vinyl, whatever).  It's always part of a
complete carpet kit (which I don't need).  Can you get that separately (in
tan)?  Also, what seals, installation parts, etc. do you need in addition to
the cover?  In addition to the new cover, should I try to stuff insulation in
and/or around it?

Finally, what's the process for removing and replacing the cover - do you have
to remove the shift lever?  Any hints, secrets, special incantations?  Thanks
in advance for any help or guidance.