Re: Metal Bonding

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Metal Bonding
From: "Joe Guinan" <spitfirejoe@email.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:03:39 +0800
My body shop guys are using more and more adhesive and less and less welding
for minor repairs - like patching corrosion holes in body panels.  I'm not sure
they trust the adhesives for "structural" areas that give the car it's
strength.  Lots of new cars have very few welds - 'tis true.  But then, they
are meant to be "appliances" that are to be thrown away after a few years and a
150,000 miles.  So - patches in the floor pans or "wings"? Go for it, why not?
Rocker panels though?  I don't think I'd trust adhesives and rivets alone.  My
opinion only, of course.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE
spitfirejoe@email.com
1980 Triumph Spitfire "1500"
North American Spitfire Squadron, Member #31
NASS web site - http://www.nasshq.org/
NASS email group - http://autos.group.com/group/nass/
Joe's website - http://www.geocities.com/hearsedudejoe/index.html
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com