The dreaded bent-in hood edge

To: spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfires)
Subject: The dreaded bent-in hood edge
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:13:17 +0000
I made an observation a few weeks ago. I was at my dad's place looking at his
cars. On his GT6, I noticed the left  rear edge of the hood, behind the hood
latch is bent inward.

And on my Spit, yep, the hood's a bit bent inward too. When you open/close the
door it rubs against it and has even scraped  a  little bit of paint off.

A google image search even shows it on a few hoods.

1. What the heck is causing this? I can see the crease clearly, but can't quite
explain how it happened in the first place. The passenger side is perfectly
straight.

2. Aside from a professsional body shop job, how can one rectify it on a
shoestring budget?

Here's my idea. Wedge in a perfectly-engineered(sand 'er down, Dremel, etc)
piece of wood during winter storage, or when it's parked. Could one just open
the door, slide the wood block in careflly, and have it slowly bend the hood
piece out?

I guess another idea would be to weld/braze in a strong bar or something. That
part of the hood doesn't seem to be the strongest.

Ah it's good to be back driving the Spit again after not driving it all last
year. Now I have this huge to-do list in my head, but little budget since i'm
saving for Amsterdam in August. After yesterday's drive, I definitely need an
alignment job done.