Re: Hose to nowhere on valve cover

To: jackruby64@yahoo.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hose to nowhere on valve cover
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:12:26 EDT
In a message dated 9/30/2005 10:41:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jackruby64@yahoo.com writes:

> Greetings,
> My '68 Mark 3 Spit has a Weber DGV carb installed, 1296cc engine. There is a
> 8 inch or so long piece of hose attached to my valve cover that goes...
> nowhere. It's open on the end, and of course, leaks a little oil. Didn't this
>go
> to some type of emission device or return unit of some kind originally, when
> the factory carb was installed? Should I leave it open, or can I plug it with
> something? There is a layer of oil accumulating on the underside of my
> bonnet, I need some info and advice on this.
> Thanks,
> James

James,
That hose is most likely there for crankcase ventilation which one must have
or oil will be pushed out of every gasket in the motor.  Therefore IMHO it
would be bad to block it.  I learned this the hard way around 20 years ago on
my
76 Spitfire 1500, oil everywhere so I hooked it back to the emission
equipment.  I have that same hose to nowhere on the 70 Spitfire MK3 which I
modified to
1 1/4" SU's.
Cheers,
Darrell