Re: Vibration/Noise

To: Tburke4@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vibration/Noise
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:11:04 EST
In a message dated 3/2/2006 3:49:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Tburke4@aol.com writes:

I  suspect the driveshaft,
(which I replaced with a used unit a while back,  previous unit had a serious
vibration @ 50mph) but before I pull it and  replace it (again),

I replaced the driveshaft a couple of times in the 70 Spit MK3 before I
noticed that the flange on the diff was bent and distorted which was the source

of a severe vibration at speed. There are a bunch of them in the drivetrain.
Other experiences with this car include bad wire wheels, a bent half shaft in
the rear and dropped thrust washers on the Crank.  All created  vibrations.  I
have found that Spits in general like to  vibrate.  My 76 1500 has vibrated
in the past but is behaving herself  lately.  Bad rear bearings and u-joints
were the cause there although you  don't seem to have the signature
clicking/clunking noise. Don't forget  those Engine, Gearbox and Diff mounts.
Out of
balance wheels and tires will  cause problems too. Both Spits really like the
set
of Panasports with modern  tires that I interchange on them. Such a small car,
sometimes is  it best just to play "Good Vibrations" on the sound system until
 something breaks?
Cheers,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org